Saturday, September 10, 2011

Making Changes....and Sharing Ideas!



My room....a view from the door!



Group Work Tubs & Math Manipulative Tubs 
I hope to label this week!


I've been working on my classroom library, organizing and labeling, I still have many things left to do and label! Many thanks to
http://keenonkindergarten.blogspot.com & http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us for the labels!


 A poster rack (used in stores) makes a great "big book" holder! I purchased this at a yard sale for $7.00!


Word Wall to the Rescue! About 10 years ago I decided I was tired of picking up word wall words off of the floor! This is a quick and easy fix! Simply take the alphabet header cards and staple or hot glue a ribbon to each, then place stick on Velcro every 3-4 inches along the ribbon, next place a piece of Velcro on the back side of each word wall word, last take a hole punch and punch a hole in the top of the alphabet header card, then use a large paper clip to serve as the hanger, place the paper clip hanger in the track of your ceiling tiles of your classroom and you are done!
 Word Wall!

More leveled readers to organize and label!
I have several other areas in my library that I will be working on this week! I feel inspired by so many of you to make my library an organized and fun place to spend time! It feels so awesome to be able find the book I need, right when I need it, and direct my students to books I know they will be able to read and enjoy with ease!

Word families! Just another pipe cleaner, alphabet bead and index card idea!

Spin and read! Color spinner, color word tiles, one bowl per child and one bowl labeled "I don't know!" Students must choose a word tile that matches the color they have spun on the spinner and read the word.  If the student reads the word correctly, they may place the word tile in their bowl.  If the student reads the word incorrectly he/she must place it in the “I don’t know!” bowl.  As word tiles start to accumulate in the “I don’t know!” bowl, they become extra point words! If a student should read the word they have chosen correctly, they may also choose a word tile from the “I don’t know!” bowl that matches the color they have spun. If they read this word correctly, they may keep it as well! The student, who has the most word tiles, wins the game! Once the winner has been determined, students try to make sentences using only the words in their bowls! I also choose a winner for the best sentence made from the word tiles!

Word Families....foam sheets and card stock strips!
 I had problems with a couple of pictures not wanting to rotate! I apologize....very annoying! :)




I have created 37 poetry power points for our first grade Poetry for Breakfast. Every grade participates in Poetry for Breakfast and each grade level has implemented the program in their own way! Each week I introduce a new poem. I have created a slide for each day of the school week. Each slide focuses on a language arts skill.  I had a lot of fun creating these power points. Someday I hope to attach a link so that I can share all of them with those of you who are interested!



Slide 2.... for Tuesday, highlighted rhyming words.
Below...students compare their answers to slide 2 of the poetry power point.  Tip: Having a presentation pointer allows you to be anywhere in the room and change the slides! I love mine! I can sit with a small group in the back of the room and change the slides when students are ready to move on to the next skill!  

Something you may not know...clear page protector sleeves make great dry erase boards for things you want to reuse! Each week a classroom helper changes the poems in the sleeves!


We use this pocket chart to display the things we've learned from the poem of the week! By the end of the week the pocket chart is full of (rhyming words, nouns, pronouns, verbs, contractions, adjectives, word parts/chunks etc.) You get the idea!


Butterfly labeling and following directions!

Okay...so once again I realize this picture needs to be rotated, but it would not cooperate! LOL!
Entomologists in training!
Measuring the wingspan of a butterfly!
Well that's all for now.....have a wonderful weekend! 
Stephanie McVey

No comments :

Post a Comment